Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Southwestern Black Bean Salad


This salad is great for numerous reasons: the ingredients are incredibly cheap, it's healthy, easy to make and includes avocado (a sure way to make any dish at least twice as delicious). We usually eat it with pita chips and tend to have enough leftovers for breakfast the next day; the longer you leave it marinating the more flavorful it becomes so it's improved by a night in the refrigerator. It also tastes good with chopped orange bell pepper and I'd like to try it with quinoa sometime. We brought this to a potluck before and it was a big hit!


Southwestern Black Bean Salad (originally found here)
  • 1 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 9 oz frozen (or canned) corn, thawed
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • 1/4 cup red or white onion, diced
  • 1 scallion, chopped
  • 1 lime, juice of
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
  • salt and fresh ground pepper
  • Mexican chili powder, a few pinches

Combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, scallion, cilantro, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix with lime juice and olive oil. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes. Add avocado before serving.

14 comments:

Lily. said...

This looks yummy! I quite love this new blog (instead of food posts on the other) because for some reason I feel more inspired to make the food. I will definitely book mark this for later use.

Lorena said...

Thanks Lily! You should definitely make this, it's so easy and pretty much a full meal as long as you eat it with some pita chips or some other grain.

Maria said...

Love this fresh salad! Perfect for summer.

Gina said...

Funny, I saw this on Tastespotting and said that looks like my Black Bean Salad! When I clicked on the link, it was my black bean salad! Your picture looks so much nicer!

Lorena said...

Thank you Gina! Though I changed it a little bit by adding the chili pepper it really is such a great recipe, especially because it's so easy to add things to it. I've lost count of how many times we have made this!

grace said...

this is the kind of thing i could eat every single day until i croak and not mind at all. it's gorgeous and oh-so-delicious. :)

eleni said...

This I like alot... I enjoy beans soooo much... very good salad!!

Team AC said...

Yum! I just made it and I'm eating it right now... delish!
They don't seem to have black beans or cilantro in the grocery stores here in Australia, so I made it with kidney beans instead.
~Corinna

slmeal said...

i like to this salad very well.

Elizabeth N. said...

Made this recipe tonight and loved it. Thanks for the great and easy to follow recipe.

Anonymous said...

Made this three times now, summer favorite. Super healthy too! watching those lbs fall off.

Anonymous said...

I am pregnant right now and decided that I wasn't getting enough of the beans that have been recommended to me. This salad is perfect! Not only does is taste delicious to me, it is healthy and provided nutrients for me and the baby. I added some chick peas to mine. Excellent!

Veola Luke said...

This look so look.

Giddy Gourmand said...

This salad is so refreshing and absolutely delish!