Friday, June 4, 2010

Red Bean Buns and Sticky Rice Cakes


Sometimes we get cravings for cheap sweets from Chinese bakeries. Normally paying a few dollars for some red bean and custard filled buns is enough to satisfy us but sometimes the low price is also reflected by poor quality (one of these was so dry inside it seemed to barely have any filling at all!). We tried to buy a custard bun but it was labeled improperly so we ended up with two red bean filled ones instead, oh well.

I've been fond of these spongy gelatinous rice cakes ever since I was a little kid. Every once in a while my parents would take my brothers and I to a Chinese bakery for rice cakes and egg tarts and it was exciting because we didn't get sweets or treats very often. The rice cakes have an interesting flavor - kind of like a mix of sweet and sour - and it really appeals to me because I don't really like my desserts overly sweet. It's been a few years since I've had an egg tart so maybe next time I will get one for nostalgia's sake. Any suggestions for what to get at Chinese bakeries?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love Chinese baked goods! I suggest Lo Po Peng (called Sweetheart cakes in English http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetheart_cake)! And if you ever venture out to Richmond, Kam Do Bakery is pretty well known for them http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/180952/restaurant/Vancouver/Richmond-Central/Kam-Do-Restaurant-Bakery-Richmond
I also suggest going to local bakeries since T&T baked goods tend to be hit or miss...

Lorena said...

Thank you so much for the suggestions! We rarely go to Richmond but we'll keep the Kam Do Bakery in mind for next time we are there. Seems like there are a lot of great restaurants and places to eat in Richmond and it would be worth it to head out there for the day just for the food. You are right about T&T being hit or miss, the quality really isn't very good. It's laziness on our part because we'll already be in T&T to buy noodles or miso and then get drawn to the baked snacks and let our stomachs make the decisions for us. It would definitely be better to shop at the local bakeries instead!

AYA said...

Rice cakes are the best!!! They are nostalgic for me too, i would always eat them after my swimming classes when i was a wee child. I have not heard of Sweetheart cakes before but the're definitely something i will try in the future. Daifuku is a delicious pastry that I have found at many chinese pastry shops, but its a typical japanese pastry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daifuku
I have tried to make them and failed. I can't seem to find a decent recipe on the net for it. But when fresh they are the best.