Friday, June 11, 2010

New York Cheesecake


For Cory's birthday yesterday I made a New York cheesecake topped with fresh mango and strawberries. Initially I had wanted to make something more complicated but we ended up spending a lot of time looking through recipes unable to decide which one we felt like trying. Some recipes sounded amazing but were definitely out of my comfort zone since they require endless ingredients or techniques that likely call for a fair bit of trial and error before perfecting. I wanted to make something relatively easy and sure to please and New York cheesecake was the obvious choice! I have made this recipe on a few occasions in the past and it has never disappointed; it's creamy, rich, not too sweet and will compliment any topping to your liking.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press onto bottom of springform pan.
  3. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving. 

Tips to avoid cracks:
  1. Use room temperature ingredients for a smoother batter.
  2. Do not over-mix the ingredients! The less air incorporated into the batter the better because as the cake is baking the air expands and causes the cake to rise. Expansion will cause the cake to crack and sink in the middle.
  3. Grease not only the bottom of the pan but the sides too. While the cake is cooling the sides will pull away and you want to prevent as much sticking as possible.
  4. Wrap the outside of the pan in foil and bake in a water bath.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those photos are so enticing!!! My favorite fruit combination, mmmmmmm Oh how I wish I could have a big slice of that cheesecake right now! It would be like poetry jumping with joy up and down in my mouth!
Perfect looking cheesecake!

Biana said...

hmmmm, looks good, I want to try it! I love cheesecake!

Anonymous said...

Hey, just used this recipi, my first attempt at cheeze cake, eva!

so the verdict... pretty good. My cake tooottally cracked, and was brown on top, but didn't collapse! Probabbly more to do with my 'teqnique' than recipi. thanks for sharing it

Lorena said...

Ahh that is too bad that it cracked! Did you follow the tips to avoid cracks? The first time I made this recipe it resulted in a GIANT crack across the entire top of the cake but I had overmixed it and did not use a water bath. If you are greasing the pan properly and using a water bath I think the only explanation is that it was overmixed. I use a spatula and carefully fold the ingredients only until they are incorporated and then I stop - it's ok if the batter still looks a little bit lumpy. The next time I make this I am going to try lowering the temperature to 325 instead of 350 because I don't want it to brown around the edges. If you try it again let me know how it works out for you!

Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

I'd been craving cheesecake lately and stumbled upon your recipe through foodgawker. I'd never made on before so I was nervous. It came out perfectly! Your tips to avoid cracks were very useful.

Thank you!

Lorena said...

It's great to hear that your first attempt at making cheesecake was a success, I'm glad the tips were useful!