Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Jimmy's: The Best Shawarmas Ever?


I had wanted to try the shawarmas at Jimmy's A&A Mediterranean Deli in Calgary for a long time after hearing/reading so many good things about them. I've never been crazy about shawarmas, perhaps owing to the fact that I have never had a very good one before; memories of dry meat and underwhelming spicing comes to mind. These sounded different from my past experiences and I had to see for myself what the hype was all about.

I ordered a small chicken shawarma ($7.50) with everything on it. People are not exaggerating when they say the portions are huge - they are MASSIVE - and packed to the point of spilling over with each bite. I don't mind messy food so this doesn't bother me, just be sure to be careful while you eat or you will end up with a sauce-covered shirt and pile of meat in your lap! The servings of meat are generous and the chicken was tender and seasoned to perfection. Everything was fresh and the sauce has a bold garlic flavor which I loved. Even though I only had a size small, it was incredibly filling and I was satisfied for the entire evening. It's worth the price for the quality of ingredients and portion size, you get what you pay for.

I wish I had known about Jimmy's when I was still living in Calgary, I can only imagine how many times I would have stood in line excitedly waiting to order. I look forward to the next time I visit so that I can finally satisfy my craving for a good shawarma.

Jimmy's A&A Mediterranean Deli on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Fuji Files said...

Yumm delicious AND filling? Sounds perfect.

xx Cristina

AYA said...

I Love jimmy's. Back when I lived in Calgary i would go there all the time. They also make a very satisfying falafel.

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking I should try a donair at A&A, but I can't. I HAVE TO order a chicken shawarma every time I go, because I already know how awesome it will be. The only other thing I ever tried there was the habanero-stuffed olives, which are also good if you like that sort of thing, which I do.