This is roughly what we eat for breakfast on most days: eggs made with homemade salsa on toast with some variation of cheese. We're generally not fortunate enough to gorge on Camembert but I ate this while I was visiting my parents and taking advantage of their wonderful cheese selection. I can't think of many things that go together as well as my mom's salsa recipe and eggs. This salsa has such a fantastic smoky flavor, it's so easy to make and extremely versatile, a few ingredients can yield a big batch and it's a simple but delicious enhancement to a huge variety of meals. If you want it spicier you can easily add as many jalapeños and chipotles as you can handle.
Spicy Chipotle Salsa
- 1 (approximately 400 mL) can of whole tomatoes (even better if you roast fresh tomatoes or tomatillos instead)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Using a fork, poke holes in the jalapeño pepper to allow heat to escape.
- Roast the jalapeño pepper in a skillet, making sure to turn it regularly so it is evenly roasted on all sides.
- Remove the stem and chop the jalapeño into several large pieces.
- Peel and coarsely chop the garlic.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve with anything you like!